Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What Will They Remember?

     Muskogee has always been famous for the song “Okie from Muskogee”. However, this week, we have  become famous because of a tragedy. The shooting of gang members at our local mall has been a feature story of the major news programs. I do not know anybody who lives around here that has not been at that mall. It is a weird feeling to me to wonder how many times I have walked by a gang member with a gun in his pocket and did not have a clue. None of us know when our last day of life will be. I do not want to live my life focused on dying; but I do want to be prepared when God calls me home.
     As we think about our death, I think it is important to ask ourselves the question, “If I died tomorrow, what will my loved ones remember about me?” I have experience in cleaning out the homes of several parents. Each time, I saw and read things about my loved ones that I didn’t know before. It makes me wonder what my children will learn from me when they go digging through my stuff one day, deciding what they will keep and what things they will discard. I want my children to find little treasures; notes or items that will let them know how much I love them and how much God has done for me and our family. I want them to have a deep sense of who they are and where they came from. I did not have a deep sense of that in my life and I think it drives me to want to give that to them. Recently, I found a small binder that I used many years ago. I stored in it my prayer journal and my notes from a yearly retreat I attended. They were called, ‘Great Hills Retreat’. Thousands of women would attend in large civic centers. We would have a main speaker but then we would pick four seminars to attend. I had a system for picking my seminars. I would pick one that dealt with me personally, one that dealt with my relationship with God, one about my role as a mother, and one as my role as a wife. As I looked over my notes, it amazed me how much these retreats set a foundation in my life and ministry. I was very sad when the retreats ended. However, having it written down was a great reminder to me of things I had forgotten. I am now more dedicated than ever to log my life and spiritual journey with God. Having hundreds of these devotions should give my children and grandchildren a great avenue to knowing me and God in a real way.
     What will your loved ones learn about you? What will they remember? What treasures are you preparing for them? How are they going to know the journey you have lived as you walked with God? My encouragement to you is to start now! Start writing! If you have trouble thinking of what to write, buy heritage books and start answering the questions. However you do it, just do it!

Let this be recorded for the generation yet unborn, that a people yet to be created shall praise the Lord.
Psalm 102: 18

2 comments:

Steph said...

My mom recently started keeping a journal. I have no idea what she writes in it but she said she thought it might be nice someday when she is gone. I know that she does it after her devotion in the morning so I am sure that I will learn a lot of things that God is/was revealing to her. I used to keep a journal but I don't remember to write in it.

Sara said...

I kept a journal all growing up, but as I grew older the less and less I would write until it was a long forgotten thing I did. I think my scrapbooks will portray who I really am. I would like to start something that is a little more personal. Maybe something they won't understand until they are older and I am gone. Good thinking.