Monday, April 26, 2010

What is in Your Junk Drawer?

     I would bet that we all have one thing in common: a junk drawer! To be honest, I have several junk drawers. Usually, our junk drawer is so cluttered with all kinds of things; many of which are very unusual items. I am not too willing to let people see the unorganized mess in my junk drawers. I don’t even know myself what all I will find in my junk! Today, we had several people in our home that I hadn't met before. I walked out of the room for a few minutes and when I came back into the living room, all the junk from my living room junk drawer was on top of the side table! Dwayne was looking for a pair of scissors and unloaded the drawer on top of the table and left it there. Now, we all know this is a thing that only a man would do! lol  My first reaction was one of panic. However, right behind the panic was the logic which said, “Everyone has a junk drawer, and everyone has junk! I will survive this humiliation!"
     I wish I had a junk drawer in my heart. A drawer I could just open and clean out! I could go through the things that are stored in it and throw away the junk. Though there is no junk drawer in our heart that we can pull out and clean, our heart needs to be and can be cleaned out and God will be glad to do it for us! All we have to do is dump all the things out on the table and let Him start directing us. He will tell us the things that are good to remember and keep, and those that must be discarded.
     What is in your heart’s junk drawer? Do you even know? I understand that it is our tendency to hide our junk and keep it a secret, but that mentality will only get us all messed up. Have you come to realize that you cannot clean your own drawer? Are you willing to dump the contents of your junk drawer on the table for God to start cleaning? God can bring healing to hurts, order to chaos, and purpose to what many would call junk!      

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10 (Amplified)

1 comment:

Steph said...

I think we could all use a little junk cleaning in our hearts and there is no time like the present to ask the Lord to help us with that. :-)