Thursday, April 15, 2010

It Will Be Clear

     “Why, can’t I?” “Don’t you love me?” Have you ever said those words to your parents? I have to admit, I did not always understand what their problem was. Why did I have to eat what was on my plate? Why can’t I drink all the pop I wanted? Why did I have to clean my room? Why did my dad tell the ice cream man to stop asking out his ten year old daughter? Why wouldn’t they let me have a 12th grade boyfriend when I was in the 8th grade? Why did I have a curfew? The older I got, the more I started asking those questions to God instead of my parents. Why is money so tight…we are trying to tithe? Why can’t I get pregnant? Why did you let me lose my job? Why doesn’t our house sell…we are doing what you called us to do? Why are you calling us to the ministry? Why are you moving us to Montana? Why are there no women’s retreat’s in Montana? Why are my children acting badly…I taught them about you? Why are Dwayne and I arguing when we both want to please you? Why can’t I find a job? Why do I have this job? Why am I so sick? Why did my loved one die? Why doesn’t that person love me? Why am I losing my friend? Ever ask God any of those questions?
     One time when I was whining to God and asking a lot of questions, He taught me a lesson I have never forgotten. I was driving to a town around an hour from Tulsa for my mother. I was driving in the pouring rain. The kind of rain you debate whether you should pull over and stop the madness of driving because you can’t see but an inch in front of the car. During that drive, God taught me several things about how driving in a rain storm is like enduring trials and times of questioning. While I was driving, I could not see an inch in front of my car. At times, it was very scary. However, when I looked into the rear view mirror, I could see clearly all the things that were behind me. The storm was blowing in my direction and hitting my windshield which only blurred my vision. However, the storm wasn’t blowing against the rear window, so it did not hinder the view. When we are enduring a time of testing, we will not always see clearly the things that are before us. However, one day the things before us will be behind us. When we look backwards we can see more clearly why things happened and how God used it all to fit together for our good.
     Do you ask God why a lot? Are you enduring some trials which distort your view of what is ahead of you? You just want to see some purpose for your trial! You can trust that whatever you can’t see in front of you will one day be in your review mirror and you will then be able to see how God guided you through the storm and how He used it to teach you and grow your faith. Hold on through the storm and keep reminding yourself that this will be in the rear view one day! It will all be behind you! You will be able see things more clearly!

Jesus answered, "You do not understand now what I am doing, but it will be clear enough to you later.” 
John 13: 7

2 comments:

Steph said...

I do want to ask why sometimes but I am constantly reminded by many things that he knows better than me and that just like when I would ask my mom why she would say because I know best or I said so....that is the same way with God. :-)

Mrs. T. said...

When I was much younger, I remember asking God for some things and I never seemed to get an answer. The answers were there but I didn't take the time to listen to them. I thought God would help me if I helped him along. I found out real quick he sure didn't need any of my help. I wonder how many times we asked and just maybe if we didn't our blessings would have been much better. We can miss a lot of blessings by not listening and letting God handle any situation. On occasion I'll fall back into trying to help him and I'll say a prayer and come back to my senses. He knows much better than I do what I need.