Friday, April 30, 2010

God Is Never Helpless!

     People, especially other mothers, often question me on how I handle having a daughter in Peru. They always say they can’t imagine that. In reality, it doesn’t seem like twenty-one months. Thanks to Skype, it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. As weird as it seems, almost every village has internet somewhere in the village. That is amazing! Even some of the most remote places in the world has the internet. The internet has really brought the world together; and it has kept me connected to my daughter. There were only a few situations that raised my concern. One thing that always concerns me is when she was driving in a terrible bus, up a one lane mountain road, with no room to pass or turn around. If it is met with another bus, they play chicken until one of them would back up down a one way road. The other times of concern have to do with certain phone calls I get. Most of the time, her phone calls are a blessing of comfort and encouragement. However, there are times that the phone calls are piercing to my heart. I remember the phone call at 6:00 A.M. when she was crying because she was so sick. What could I do for my daughter in a remote village in the Andes Mountains of Peru when I am in Tahlequah, Oklahoma? There wasn’t even a doctor in the village. Also, I remember one of her first trips when the bus almost left her at one of their stops. She had to run after her bus! I remember when she called crying because she was so homesick! The first Thanksgiving she was gone, she called early in the morning crying because she wasn't going to be here on Thanksgiving and they didn’t even celebrate Thanksgiving in Antigua! I remember the phone calls of tears sharing how heartbroken she was when a co-missionary would leave at the end of their term. A few days ago, I was speaking with her when all of a sudden she starts talking to her roommate, and says, “Did you feel that? I think it is an earthquake!” Are you kidding me? Was I going to hear my daughter get sucked into a crack in the ground? Lol The last one of these phone calls was a few nights ago when she called to say the plane that was going to bring her to Birmingham, Alabama for her friend’s wedding had left the night before she got to the airport. There was nothing they would do, she was going to eat the ticket or buy a new one for $1400. Each of these calls were terrible for me. I so wanted to be there to help her, to hold her, to encourage her, to comfort her, to fix her problem; but she was too far away, she was where I could not be. Even if I ran jumped on the next flight, got a taxi to the bus stop, took a bus (if I was lucky only one) to the village she called from, it would take me at best three days! So, in reality I was helpless! I wasn't present with my daughter to comfort her.
     Our Heavenly Father never feels this particular pain because God is never helpless and He is always with His children. We cannot go any place He is not there, we cannot experience any situation He cannot control, and there is nothing we can do that would cause Him to forsake us! When you call upon Him, He can help you, comfort your, and encourage you! All you have to do is remember you are never alone.

Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit? to be out of Your sight?
 If I climb to the sky, You’re there!
If I go underground, You’re there!

If I flew on morning’s wings to the far western horizon,
You’d find me in a minute—You’re already there waiting.
Then I said to myself, “Oh, He even sees me in the dark!
At night I’m immersed in the light!” It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to You;
night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to You.

Psalms 139: 7-12

1 comment:

Steph said...

Some say there is nothing stronger than a mother's love but God is stronger than even that. Brittne is in good hands! :-) I love the verse. Knowing that I can not hide anything from Him makes me open my heart to Him even more.